On August 5, 2022, the Central Bank of Myanmar (CBM) adjusted the country’s official reference exchange rates. The new rate for US dollars is USD 1 to MMK 2,100—up from the previous rate of USD 1 to MMK 1,850. Authorized dealer (AD) banks (i.e., those licensed to exchange foreign currency) were to begin using the updated rates that same day, in accordance with Myanmar’s requirement to convert foreign currency transfers and balances to local currency using the official CBM rates.
In addition, the CBM issued Notification No. 36/2022 to clarify its foreign currency conversion requirement for exporters. The notification specifies that only 65 percent of income received from exportation needs to be converted into MMK within one day. An analysis of the regulations laying out the currency conversion requirements mentioned above suggests that the remaining 35 percent of export earnings balance will be converted into MMK if exporters do not use it within 30 days. Noncompliance with the requirements of Notification No. 36/2022 is punishable under the Foreign Exchange Management Law with imprisonment for up to one year, a fine, or both.
For further information, please contact:
Yuwadee Thean-Ngarm, Partner, Tilleke & Gibbins