Jezamine Fewins works in the litigation practice of Stephenson Harwood Hong Kong. She acts for a wide variety of international corporations spanning industries including: sportswear, fashion, automotive, electronics, traditional Chinese medicine, health and beauty, food and beverages, LEDs, chemicals, aviation, education, mining, hospitality and transportation. Jezamine specialises in intellectual property and employment matters.
Jezamine advises clients on drafting employment contracts and staff handbooks, employee benefits and entitlements, harassment and discrimination, the termination of contracts of employment, managing the departure of employees, redundancies and the enforcement of restrictive covenants.
In addition, she assists clients in pursuing and defending claims brought before the Labour Tribunal and the courts of Hong Kong. Jezamine has represented clients in a number of high profile cases pursued in the High Court of Hong Kong involving team moves and the enforcement of restrictive covenants.
Jezamine advises on all aspects of intellectual property. Her work includes: trademarks, patents, registered designs and copyright. Jezamine assists clients to develop both protectable and strong brands particularly in the areas of licensing and franchising. In addition to providing advice and assistance on the positioning and the protection of their brands, Jezamine has represented clients in enforcement actions in the High Court. She has obtained injunctive orders against infringers and orders for the delivery up of infringing goods. She has also been able to assist clients in respect of seizing shipments of counterfeit goods and negotiating settlements on highly advantageous terms for her clients.
Jezamine received her LLB from Nottingham Trent University in 1993. She obtained her Master of Laws in International Law from the University of Nottingham in 1995. She completed her Diploma in Legal Practice in 1997 at Nottingham Trent University. Jezamine was admitted as a solicitor in Hong Kong in 2000 and in England and Wales in 2002. She worked in a major international law firm before joining Stephenson Harwood.
Jezamine regularly contributes articles to publications such as HR Magazine, Lexology, Mondaq.com and CorporateLiveWire.com. She is the author of the chapter on Restrictive Covenants for Hong Kong Practical Guidance published by LexisNexis.
- Advised a US University professor in respect of his benefits and entitlements under an honorarium which he held with a Hong Kong university
- Acted for a Danish scientist in court proceedings against Elec-Tech International (HK) Ltd to recover entitlements owed under her employment contract
- Represented ex-employees of Cantor Fitzgerald in defending court proceedings brought against them by their former employer including an interlocutory injunction in respect of allegations involving breaches of post termination restrictive covenants related to a team move
- Advised a Hong Kong employer on the obligations which they owed to an employee suffering from gender dysphoria and advised on practical steps to adopt to maintain stability in the workplace and to ensure compliance with the Disability Discrimination Ordinance
- Advised a Hong Kong employer of the consequences of an employee’s actions in booking all business development activities through an international hotel chain in order to obtain hotel loyalty points
- Represented an international insurance company and successfully enforced a deregistration of a shadow company infringing the insurer’s trademark
- Advised a US patent owner in respect of enforcement action against the owners of a website selling goods infringing the Hong Kong patent where access to the site had been blocked in Hong Kong
- Represented Shanghai Zhenhua Heavy Industry Co Ltd in successfully opposing an application by a PRC individual to register the ZPMC trademark in bad faith
- Represented an Italian fashion house in a dispute with one of its Taiwanese franchisees
- Represented the copyright owners of a software platform in court proceedings issued against its
- distributors for breaching its copyright by providing unauthorised copies to third party banks
" Fewins is ‘someone you really want in your corner in any dispute; she is not only a very diligent, conscientious, hardworking individual with amazing perseverance, but someone who can be trusted to make the right decisions’"
Legal 500 Asia 2015
“The "excellent and responsive" Jezamine Fewins has extensive experience in areas of employment, pensions and immigration. She is an accomplished litigator who advises on employee benefits, discrimination, redundancies and the enforcement of restrictive covenants. “
Chambers Asia 2014
“Jezamine Fewins spearheads the Intellectual Property practice from Hong Kong. Her clients describe her as “knowledgeable, methodical and enjoyable to deal with," adding: "She can make things that are complicated understandable to non-lawyers. It’s fantastic working with her.” “
Chambers Asia 2013